WEBSITE, MANY SCREEN SIZES
Responsive web design is an innovative approach to website design and development. Essentially, your website is designed and programmed to be fully functional and usable on various screen sizes and devices.
Although responsive web design has been used for the last few years, 2012 was the year that the approach really gained momentum due to the increasing use of tablets and better smartphones. Orbit has fully adopted responsive website design as our standard approach to web design for now and the future.
RESPONSIVE THUMBNAIL GALLERIES
- How to Build a Responsive Thumbnail Gallery
- Responsive background images
BETTER BACKGROUND IMAGES FOR RESPONSIVE WEB DESIGN
- Anystretch jQuery plugin
- Responsive slideshows
- Example of a "lightweight" slideshow
- Flexslider module
- Full screen image slideshow
- CSS only
- FitVids module
- FitText module
- Responsive Typography, reference of core concepts
RESPONSIVE NAVIGATION MENUS
- Simple navigation menus lend themselves to larger display platforms (laptops) as well as smaller displays (smartphones). In general, drop down menus are not often used on smaller displays (smartphones) since visual space is limited.
- Usually, you find drop down menus converted to stacked vertical lists when the display detected is a smartphone.
Sounds strange, and it kind of is. Basically, the website is configured to display different formatting of the same content at specific screen sizes that affect all elements on the page. Even images can be re-rendered to the optimal dimension and compression to reduce load times.